Sunday, January 4, 2009

Immortality

Back after a 6-month hiatus.

For Christmas, I took a long, long train ride. Even though I haven't cared for him in the past, I bought and read on the ride Immortality, by Milan Kundera. I was surprised to find that I liked it, much more than I thought I would.

It reminds me of that drawing thing we had when we were kids - a "Spirograph" - you made the thing into which you inserted your pen go around and around, and it ended up making a whole intact pattern in the end. I thought that this was kind of like that. It should have been all self-conscious and affected, but for some reason it wasn't. I thought he managed to write a "post-modern" novel that still felt like a novel. You stay in the same place, but somehow it gets all filled in.

I can't get over it, as I have always in the past been vaguely irritated by M.K. Apparently my tastes have changed. I'm not sure if it's a good thing. Thus I will say only that I liked it, not that it was good. I'm curious to hear what others think.

No comments: